In case you missed them, here’s a rundown of nine weird and wonderful viral beauty trends that recently took the Internet by storm.
- Clown Contouring was created by makeup artist Bella DeLune after she decided she’d had enough of trolls calling her techniques and tutorials “clownish.” She fought back in the best way possible: sharing a full-on clown look before blending it into a beautifully contoured face of makeup.
- Rainbow Freckles saw girls painting fake colored freckles around their eyes and nose using a range of purples, blues, greens — even whites and golds.
- Glitter Beards had their fair share of attention over the Christmas break. After spreading over Instagram, the internet became riddled with tutorials; some even went as far as “beard baubles” (which are a thing that you can actually buy).
- Kylie Jenner Lip Challenge, a process that involves pumping your lips to twice the size by sucking them into a shot glass, spiraled from an Instagram phenomenon into a serious health hazard.
- Heart bangs are possibly the cutest hair trend to hit Instagram. Kickstarted by South Korean youth, “heart-bangs hair” or하트 앞머리(hateu aapmuhri) in Korean involves shaping strands of your fringe into a delicate heart shape on your forehead.
- Dyed Armpit Hair – as an act of feminism or just fun, women all over the world are giving it a try. 17-year-old Destiny Morneo received 320,000 views on her YouTube video “My Blue Pits.”
- Pom Pom Nails are the latest trend to hit Instagram after the popularity of “fur nails” and “bubble nails.” This one is pretty self-explanatory – nail designs with impractically large poms stuck on top.
- Hair Stenciling is an art form using hair as a canvas for DIY designs, from polka-dot patterns to smiley faces and fluffy cloud motifs.
- Nose Twerking is a strangely mesmerizing video with over 30 million views of a girl who painted a booty on her nose and made it twerk to Rihanna’s “Work.”
See the trends on i-D Vice