“Stack them high and watch them fly” is the general motto when it comes to merchandising holiday gift sets. Consumers love them, retailers demand them, and brands (if they tell the truth) loathe them. Let’s face it—for consumers, gift-giving is all about looking like you spent more then you did, and of course, finding the perfect gift. For most retailers it’s make-or-break time; the holiday season either has them seeing red or black for the year. The National Retail Federation reports over a quarter of all US retail revenue in 2015 was recorded over the holiday shopping season. Brands need to show up with great-looking packaging and offer incredible value to compete, but the cost of goods on gift sets are a margin killer.
In the spirit of the season, here’s my top 10 list of the best holiday gift sets:
- Tom Ford Lips & Boys 50-Piece Set
- Too Faced Le Grand Chateau
- Diptyque 2016 Advent Calendar
- Charlotte’s World of Legendary Parties
- Kevyn Aucoin XO The Chelsea Collection
- NYX Wanderlust Advent Calendar
- Laura Mercier The Iconics Celebrating 20 Years of Artistry Collection
- Benefit Cosmetics Girl O’Clock Rock Mini Bestsellers Set
- Kiehl’s x FAILE Limited Edition Collection For A Cause
- Pat McGrath Labs Metalmorphosis 005 Everything Kit
Of course, as a brand you can also choose to buck the system and maintain your margin like Linda Rodin, and make your individual products look festive through gift wrapping for the holiday like this season’s Limited Edition Holidot Collection.