According to Michelle Klein, Head of Marketing for North America at Facebook, the average person checks their phones about 30 times a day. The average millennial? More than 157 times per day. Understanding mobile devices is a significant aspect of digital marketing because smartphones and tablets are now responsible for 64% of the time consumers are online. (Whiteside)
Who is the traditional consumer?
- 1 in 3 spend more than 3 hours a day on social media
- 88% are highly motivated to buy a beauty product after reading positive reviews
- 95% have a Facebook account
- Most likely age group to adopt new buying methods such as mobile payments: 8% of millennials globally do this daily
Generation X: 35-49
- 1/3 spend more than 50% of their time online on social media
- 94% have a Facebook account
- 60% will use favorite beauty products for 10+ years
- 99% are open to trying something new
- 89% of boomers have a Facebook account
Millennials will comprise 75% of the global workforce by 2025. Despite a poor economy, they strive to give back to society. They support causes that align with their values and personal belief system, and 81% have donated money, goods, or services, according a study by Walden University and Harris Interactive.
When Pew Research asked a sample of Millennials what their priorities were, they said being a good parent, having a successful marriage, and helping others in need. These were far more important to them than becoming famous, which only 1% chose as the most important thing in their life.
Social networking has had a major influence on how millennials operate and assimilate. They use social networking sites in order to report crimes, raise money for nonprofits, and share insights and experiences.