April will mark the fifth anniversary of Net-A-Porter expanding into the beauty category, and we have to say we’re happy they did. Their curation of brands and marketing through content rather then promotion makes for the perfect partnership with luxury beauty businesses.
According to Newby Hands, the company’s beauty director, who joined from Harper’s Bazaar UK in 2015, the beauty category have become significantly more important. “The reaction to it has been quite a surprise,” she told Glossy, noting that it was initially launched as more of a cart-filler option for its fashion-loving shoppers, but today beauty is bringing in more new customers than every other category.
- Net-A-Porter beauty sales have grown 10 times since its launch in 2013, according to the company.
- They now sell 265 different brands (including Tom Ford, Hourglass, and Oribe), up from 86 its first year
- Their assortment includes 8,138 products, a huge jump from the initial 1,000.
- Charlotte Tilbury, Christian Louboutin, and Tom Ford are the top sellers in the beauty category.
- Charlotte Tilbury’s Full Fat Lashes 5-Star Mascara is its most popular beauty product and her Magic Cream follows close behind.
- Other items in the top 20 include This Works’ Deep Sleep Pillow Spray, WelleCo’s The Super Elixir, and RMS Beauty’s Raw Coconut Cream.
- On average, the retailer launches two brands per month and doesn’t plan to increase that any time soon.
- When sourcing new product, price points—which currently range from $5 to $2,500—don’t matter, because luxury can be many things.
Read the full article on Glossy.
Photo: Flaunter via Unsplash