Location intelligence firm Cuebiq shared with Retail Dive interesting statistics sizing up the specialty beauty retail landscape.
- Foot Traffic: Sephora’s US stores enjoy footfall traffic that outpaces Ulta’s more than 2 to 1.
- Customer Crossover: 20% of shoppers visiting an Ulta store in the quarter also visited a Sephora, while just 9% of Sephora customers also went to an Ulta store.
- Store Count: Ulta Beauty operates 1,124 retail stores across 49 states, while Sephora says it has more than 430 stores across the Americas and about 2,300 stores in 33 countries worldwide.
- Web Stats: While both ulta.com and sephora.com saw similar traffic declines between May 2017 and April this year of about 30%, sephora.com holds 10% more traffic than ulta.com. Plus, sephora.com boasts more unique visitors, a longer average visit duration, and a higher share of direct traffic.
- Demographics: Sephora also appeals to a younger set, holding an advantage in the 18 to 24 and 25 to 34 demographics, while ulta.com is more popular with the 45-and-up crowd.
Read the full article on Retail Dive.
Photo: Rawpixel via Unsplash