In Q3 of 2017, Amazon became the largest online beauty retailer according to analysis company 1010data. In 2019 Amazon continued to chip away at the beauty retail establishment. They secured a coveted exclusive launch of Lady Gaga’s beauty brand, Haus Laboratories, over traditional beauty retailers. The Amazon Professional Beauty Store sent shares of Sally Beauty Holdings tumbling 17% at the announcement. And the marketplace kicked their beauty strategy into overdrive with the launch of their first private-label skincare range called Belei that was clearly “inspired by” the data of the top-selling, best-reviewed skincare SKUs in the marketplace.
Coresight Research aggregated data on over 200,000 products listed on Amazon.com’s US beauty website, collated with competitive intelligence provider DataWeave:
- 212,818 beauty and personal care products across 2,499 brands spanning eight major beauty categories are listed on Amazon.
- The largest category on Amazon is makeup accounting for 33% of beauty products, skincare at 26%, haircare at 14%, personal care at 13%, fragrance at 9% and oral care at 2%, men’s grooming and luxury beauty each account for 1%.
- Maybelline New York is the most-listed brand on Amazon.com with 4,370 product listings.
- While Amazon offers a large selection in beauty, 4% of beauty brands (103) account for fully 52.1% of all beauty product listings. Some 12.6% of Amazon beauty brands (316) list only one product each. This suggests that there are opportunities for some beauty brands to scale up.
- Our consumer survey found Amazon is America’s second-most-shopped retailer for beauty, grooming, and personal care products, behind Walmart. Some 42.5% of shoppers said they bought on Amazon in the past 12 months.
Top 25 beauty products on Amazon according to Glamour Magazine.
- Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes
- CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
- Nyx Professional Makeup Setting Spray
- HSI Professional Glider Flat Iron
- Bed Head Wave Artist Deep Waver
- Avarelle Acne Absorbing Cover Patch
- Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay
- Olaplex Hair Perfector No. 3 Repairing Treatment
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Face Moisturizer
- Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Moisturizing Lip Balm
- Heeta Shampoo Brush with Soft Silicone Head Massager
- Thayers Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel Facial Toner
- Tifara Beauty 7″ Flexible Curling Rods
- Bs-Mall Makeup Brushes Brush Set
- Schick Silk Touch-Up Multipurpose Tool
- Dermal Korea Collagen Essence Facial Mask
- Glam Up Facial Sheet Mask Ultimate Supreme Collection
- Beakey Makeup Sponge Set
- Essence Lash Princess False Lash Effect Mascara
- L’Oréal Paris Makeup Voluminous Lash Boosting Conditioning Primer
- Revlon One-Step Hair Dryer & Volumizer Hot Air Brush
- Bestope Comedone Extractor Tool Kit
- eos Super Soft Shea Sphere Vanilla Mint Lip Balm
- New York Biology Dead Sea Mud Mask
- Opiqcey Silicone Face Mask Brush
Top 10 Amazon content on BeautyMatter in 2019:
- Amazon Luxury Beauty Quietly Goes 3P
- FTC Cracks Down on Fake Amazon Reviews
- Belei: Amazon’s First Private Label Skincare Brand
- Analyzing Amazon: 5 Key Social Media Takeaways
- Amazon Professional Beauty Store Open For Business
- Glossier Poaches Amazon Executive For COO Role
- Amazon Scores Lady Gaga Haus Laboratories Launch
- Prime Day 2019: 350,000 Luxury Beauty Products Sold In US
- Just The Numbers: Amazon – The Digital Advertising Platform
- Sunny Jain Joins Unilever From Amazon As President Of Beauty
Photo: Piotr Cichosz via Unsplash