BEAUTY DEALS: M&A TRANSACTIONS Q1 2019
There seems to be no beauty bubble in sight. According to industry insiders, Beauty M&A is predicted to continue its hot streak through 2019. The number of transactions remains high and values increase creating challenges for potential acquirers as a result. The first quarter did not disappoint with Glossier, Hims and Calm all reach unicorn status in new rounds of funding.
Susan Babinsky, Senior Vice President of Kline Group, says: “The flurry of M&A activity over past several years has reduced the pipeline of good sized opportunities (eg $100m- plus brands or companies) thus companies are snatching up small and sometimes less proven businesses—often for quite a premium.”
Q1 2019 Summary:
- Glossier, Hims and Calm all reach unicorn status in new rounds of funding.
- Skincare has replaced color cosmetics in both category growth and investment activity.
- While the disruptive quality of DTC brands may have ebbed investment continues to flow.
- This quarter we started to see transactions in the new CBD category with Bebeo being acquired, platforms Prima and Standard Dose receiving funding and LB Equity creating a new CBD focused fund.
- An uptick in activity down the full beauty supply chain.
Inside The Report:
- A compilation of the quarters transactions with full transaction insight in our Who, Why, In Their Own Words, Details format
- Aggregated content for each transaction providing history and context
- A easy to reference summary chart including transactions by category with high level details.