Socially manufactured military-inspired beauty brand Bravo Sierra raised a $6.7 million seed round with funding led by Global Founders Capital with participation from Canaan Partners, Mousse Partners, BoxGroup, Redo Ventures and Grace Beauty Capital.
WHO: Bravo Sierra is a US military-inspired line founded by Benjamin Bernet and Justin Guilbert, former marketing directors at L’Oréal. They refer to the military as the original wellness lifestyle brand, and crowdsourced ideas by testing products with 1,000 active members of the U.S. Special Forces, including Army Rangers, Navy Seals, Green Berets, and Marine Raiders. The company will contribute 5% of its sales to the M.W.R (Morale, Welfare, and Recreation) programs, which offer a complete range of community support programs to US service members, veterans, and their families. The range is genderless and all priced under $14. The brand will be available on global military bases and through the brand’s website.
IN THEIR OWN WORDS: “These men and women just have higher and sometimes very challenging requirements—ranging from harsh climate conditions, sleep deprivation, highly stressful environments, no access to running water, etc. We develop products to fulfill the specific needs of these demanding lifestyles,” Guilbert said.
- Bravo Sierra raised $6.7 million in a seed round of funding.
- The round was led by Global Founders Capital with participation from Canaan Partners, Mousse Partners, BoxGroup, Redo Ventures, and Grace Beauty Capital.
- Bravo Sierra declined to discuss numbers, but according to WWD, industry sources estimate the brand could do $8 million in retail sales in its first year.
- Benjamin Bernet left L’Oréal, where he worked on brands such as Kiehl’s and Giorgio Armani, to found DooBop, an e-tailer dedicated for beauty brands geared toward the multicultural market that sold to Sundial in 2016. He also founded Hello Sexy Legs, a prestige body makeup brand that was acquired by Cosmax.
- Justin Guilbert founded Harmless Harvest Coconut Water.
Photo: via Bravo Sierra