Grove Collaborative has acquired gummy skincare company Sundaily, reinforcing the business’s continued commitment of M&A strategy.
WHO: Sundaily, a category leader in ingestible skincare, launched in 2018 by a dermatologist and Harvard Medical school researcher and a designer with a background in healthcare innovation. The evidence-led brand uses active ingredients that have been tested for skin health and beauty benefits in humans, with results published in peer-reviewed academic journals. Featuring novel, effective botanical extracts, Sundaily products are also committed to ingredient transparency, including using vegan, non-GMO, organic, USA-made ingredients whenever possible. The brand currently consists of two products: The Base Layer, focused on skin protection, and The Back Up, focused on skin repair.
Launched in 2016 as a Certified B Corp, Grove Collaborative is a leading digital-first brand and e-commerce platform for natural home and personal care products. Over the past three years, Grove Collaborative has launched its own brands of home and personal care products, including lines of tree-free paper, laundry care, and vitamins. On a mission to define a new industry standard of eco-consciousness, Grove is the first and only plastic neutral retailer in the world and is committed to becoming 100% plastic-free by 2025.
WHY: Enhancing the company’s portfolio of personal care products. This latest expansion into ingestible skincare signals Grove Collaborative’s continued focus on and expansion of its wellness portfolio.
IN THEIR OWN WORDS: “At Grove, our long-term vision is that consumer products will become a positive force for human and environmental health,” said Stuart Landesberg, co-founder & CEO of Grove Collaborative. “Sundaily helps us fulfill our vision by bringing effective, innovative, better-for-you products to our growing customer base who, category by category, are on the journey of trading conventional products for natural.”
Since its 2018 launch, Sundaily has resonated with consumers looking for ingestible skincare and beauty products that actually work. “We started Sundaily with the simple idea that effective botanical ingredients in a delicious gummy format mean our customers would see real results,” said co-founder and CEO Chris Tolles. “From the start, our mission has been to improve customers’ skin health by doing things differently. Grove shares our values, and we’re excited by how this partnership will accelerate the positive impact we can have.”
Dr. Emilia Javorsky, Sundaily’s co-founder and Chief Scientific Officer, concurs: “I’m proud to see our approach catch the eye of a mission-aligned industry leader like Grove. Science is at the heart of Sundaily’s mission. We’re committed to active ingredients with published, peer-reviewed, human data for skin health and beauty and are excited to continue and extend our mission from within the Grove family.”
- Grove Collaborative has acquired Sundaily. The terms of the transaction were not released.
- Sundaily co-founders Dr. Emilia Javorsky and Chris Tolles will join Grove Collaborative in advisory roles, helping oversee integration and ongoing product development.
- Sundaily operations will move to Grove Collaborative’s San Francisco headquarters, leveraging Grove’s 150+ team there.
- As Certified B Corporations, Grove Collaborative and Sundaily share a commitment to positive social change, including increased ingredient transparency and long-term sustainability.
- In September of 2019 Grove Collaborative raised $150 million in a series D funding with a valuation of over $1 billion.
- In August of 2019 Grove Collaborative acquired Sustain Natural.
Photo: via Sundaily