While Sephora may have a significant head start in the clean beauty space having launched its Clean at Sephora program in 2018, Ulta is ready to go head to head for the mindshare of conscious beauty consumers with a holistic initiative that delivers product transparency, enabling shoppers to make more informed, conscious choices for themselves and the environment.
Conscious Beauty at Ulta is grounded by a commitment to educate, guide, and simplify product choices. Their commitment is further solidified through a strategic partnership with Credo Beauty that launched in tandem. Credo Collection at Ulta Beauty is an assortment of eight clean beauty brands, including EleVen by Venus Williams x Credo SPF, Innersense Organic Beauty, and One Love Organics, among others, that will be available across 100 Ulta Beauty stores and on Ulta.com. Credo’s co-founder and CEO, Annie Jackson, is part of the Conscious Beauty Advisory Council.
“The introduction of Conscious Beauty at Ulta Beauty reflects the incredible value we place on listening to our guests. We consistently work to answer their evolving desires and with this holistic effort, we’re aligning beauty choices with their personal values,” said Dave Kimbell, President of Ulta Beauty. “The nationwide launch of this platform delivers a unique and holistic way to empower guests on their respective wellbeing and consciousness journeys.”
According to Ulta’s proprietary research, an overwhelming 75% of consumers wish it were easier to know which products are truly clean, while 63% of clean buyers state “safer for the planet” options are somewhat or very important. To meet the needs of consumers, Conscious Beauty at Ulta Beauty has established criteria to certify brands across five pillars:
- Clean Ingredients: Excludes ingredients on Ulta Beauty’s Made Without List, which was developed with consideration for the human and environmental health impact of ingredients.
- Cruelty-Free: PETA, Leaping Bunny, or Choose Cruelty-Free are accepted as certifications for brands that do not conduct animal testing.
- Vegan: Created without animal products, by-products, or derivatives.
- Sustainable Packaging: At least 50% of a brand’s packaging must be made from bio-sourced or recycled materials, or be recyclable or refillable, contributing towards Ulta Beauty’s pledge to ensure at least 50% of all packaging sold will be sustainable by 2025.
- Positive Impact: Highlights brands that have giving back at their core.
The Conscious Beauty-certified brands represent all categories and include Tula, Authentic Beauty Concept, Beekman 1802, Pacifica, Juice Beauty, KVD Vegan Beauty, Tarte, Mad Hippie, Kreyol Essence, and Ulta Beauty Collection.
To ensure ongoing accountability, education, and evolution, Ulta Beauty established the Conscious Beauty Advisory Council. Comprised of key experts at the forefront of clean beauty, product development, packaging sustainability, and brand leadership, at launch, the Advisory Council includes:
- Karen Behnke, founder and CEO, Juice Beauty
- Brook Harvey-Taylor, founder and CEO, Pacifica
- Annie Jackson, co-founder and COO, Credo Beauty
- Maureen Kelly, founder and CEO, Tarte
- Dr. Roshini Raj, founder, Tula
- Dr. Brent Ridge, co-founder, Beekman 1802
- Scott Schienvar, Vice President of Operations, L’Oréal
- Tom Szaky, CEO and co-founder, Loop
Photo: via Ulta.com