ASX-listed natural products player BWX Group has expanded its direct-to-consumer business by acquiring 100% ethical platform player Flora & Fauna, a Certified B Corporation online retailer focused on vegan, ethical, and sustainable products.
WHO: Founded in 2014 by Julie Mathers, Flora & Fauna, based in Sydney, Australia, is recognized by its 94,000 active consumers as a leading online vegan retailer, with 300 brands available across its multi-category offering that covers beauty, personal care, lifestyle, baby & kids, pet, food & health. Flora & Fauna offsets all carbon emissions and, in 2017, became one of the first Australian retailers to achieve Certified B Corporation status.
Australian BWX Limited is a developer, manufacturer, distributor, and marketer of branded skincare and haircare products, emphasizing the natural segment of the beauty and personal care market. The company is a leader in beauty and wellness business with a portfolio of six brands, including Sukin, Andalou Naturals, USPA, Mineral Fusion, Nourished Life.
WHY: The acquisition is in line with BWX's omnichannel retail strategy and expands BWX's direct-to-consumer online offering.
IN THEIR OWN WORDS: BWX CEO and Managing Director David Fenlon said, "We are thrilled to welcome the Flora & Fauna team to the BWX family, and alongside Nourished Life, create a best-in-class ethical online retail platform. Julie Mathers has built an incredible brand offering with her team and we are excited to work together in growing and leading the Natural wellness industry."
“With complementary categories and minimal consumer and SKU overlap, the two brands will benefit from a strategic approach to customer experience and promotions, as well as operational efficiencies."
“We know that consumers are placing increasing value on sustainable lifestyle choices, as well as direct-to-consumer convenience. With these two fast growing online platforms, BWX intends to remain at the forefront of the global wellness revolution and is focused on continuing to evaluate opportunities to further enhance and grow its direct-to-consumer offering."
Flora & Fauna founder and CEO Julie Mathers said it was important that future investors in the business were completely aligned with its purpose-driven values. "This is a really exciting step for Flora & Fauna and the wider industry. BWX offers Flora & Fauna the opportunity to grow even further as a business with strong alignment about having a positive impact on the planet, people and animals. I am a firm believer in giving customers the best experience while operating purposeful businesses that are built on nimble, innovative retailing and world-class customer metrics, and I look forward to continuing, and building on, this approach as part of the BWX team."
- BWX Limited acquired 100% of Flora & Fauna for about $21.7 million (AUD$30 million). The acquisition will be fully funded through a debt facility provided by the company's lender.
- Flora & Fauna will operate alongside BWX's pureplay e-commerce business, Nourished Life, forming a new business unit within the BWX Group.
- Founder and CEO of Flora & Fauna Julie Mathers and her entire team will be joining the BWX business.
- Flora & Fauna's assortment consists of about 10,000 SKUs across 10 key categories from 300 domestic and international brands.
- The retailer has 94,000 active customer accounts and over 300,000 unique monthly visitors.
- Flora & Fauna has a track record of strong sales growth, with FY20 revenue of $8.7 million (AUD$12 million), up from $7.2 million (AUD$10 million) in FY19. Revenues for FY21 are forecast to be between $11.9 million (AUD$16.4 million) to $12.4 million (AUD$17.1 million) for FY213.
- Flora & Fauna employs a team of 47, which allows it to service consumers across Australia and New Zealand, as well as internationally.
- Flora and Fauna was advised by Deloitte and Hamilton Locke. KPMG and Maddocks advised BWX.
2 Article(s) Remaining