WHO: Founded in South Yorkshire in 2014 by Jamie Shuker, Facetheory is on a mission to provide consumers with the best clean skincare products at a price point they can afford. The British direct-to-consumer skincare brand is behind a range of affordable, clean, vegan, and cruelty-free products that promise real results by combining the best of science with the best of nature.
Founded in 2004, Active Partners is a growth investor that backs and builds great consumer brands, partnering with innovative founders to create world-class businesses. The firm has invested in standout consumer brands including Finisterre, The Fold, Honest Burgers, LEON, Northern Monk, Secret Cinema, Soho House, and Rapha.
WHY: The fresh capital will be used to scale the business at home and internationally, recruit best-in-class talent, and continue to invest in product research and development.
IN THEIR OWN WORDS: Jamie Shuker, CEO and founder of Facetheory, said: "I founded Facetheory on the belief that consumers deserved better for their skin: better ingredients, better results and better prices. It's been an incredible journey to date, and I'm so proud of the amazing community we have built so far from our home in South Yorkshire. I couldn't be more excited to have Active Partners on board for this next phase of growth, and their deep expertise and experience in building exceptional, ethical consumer brands will be invaluable as we look to further build out our brilliant team and bring Facetheory's products to a global audience."
Janice Cargo, Investor at Active Partners, said: "Today's consumers don't just want great skincare products. They want great skincare products that are clean, natural and that don't cost the earth. Jamie recognized this, and the team has designed the most exceptional range of innovative, ingredient-led, natural products that consumers genuinely love. The brand's impressive track record and high repeat purchase rates speak for themselves, and this is truly one of the UK's most exciting and fastest-growing direct to consumer skincare brands. We're delighted to join Facetheory in its next chapter, and are looking forward to supporting the team as they continue to scale internationally."
- Facetheory has raised £10 million in Series A funding from Active Partners.
- Facetheory has been self-funded to date, and this Series A is its first outside capital.
- This deal marks Active Partners' first investment in the beauty sector.
- Facetheory has been a pure direct-to-consumer player with over 350,000 active customers in the past year. Over 40% of Facetheory's customers are based outside the UK, and the company is rated as “excellent” on Trustpilot.
- The company's revenue has accelerated from £2 million to £15 million over the past three years.
- Facetheory currently has a team of 60 employees, based primarily in South Yorkshire.
- Facetheory has received interest from brick-and-mortar retailers and will pursue a multichannel growth strategy, including selected offline partners.
- The investment team at Active Partners was led by Jason Mahendran and Janice Cargo, who will also be joining the Facetheory board.
2 Article(s) Remaining