Business Categories Reports Podcasts Events Awards Webinars
Contact My Account About


September 3, 2018
September 3, 2018
Arshad Pooloo via Unsplash

Italian-owned Lumson has received a 70 million euro investment from private equity group Fondo Strategic Italiano for a 35% stake in the business.

WHO: Lumson was founded in 1975 by the Moretti family and has been built to a leading European company in the development, production, decoration, and distribution of primary packaging for the cosmetic, makeup, and pharmaceutical markets.

Fondo Strategico Italiano (FSI)’s new Mid‐Market Growth Equity Fund is aimed at supporting leading Made in Italy companies with growth potential and seeks to expand into international markets.

IN THEIR OWN WORDS: “I’m extremely happy to announce this partnership with FSI, a patient institutional fund with Italian heart and brain, as well as international muscles,” Lumson president Matteo Moretti told WWD. “This investment will provide Lumson with the fuel to boost its further growth, driven by innovation, as well as research and development. The Moretti family is extremely satisfied and proud and we feel a bigger responsibility as entrepreneurs working at the core of Lombardy’s beauty business. Our sector is the one [that] has registered the biggest growth in terms of revenues from 2008 to 2016 and it exports 42 percent of its production.”

“The partnership with the Moretti family is a perfect example of the mission of FSI, which aims to invest in companies guided by an entrepreneurial family with a solid track record, a long-term vision, focused on the growth of the company and without financial leverage,” FSI chief executive officer Maurizio Tamagnini told Twoeggz. “With the investment in Lumson, FSI participates in the development and consolidation of the Italian beauty sector, which represents a global excellence in a constantly growing market, which, only considering packaging, is valued at 7 billion euros in Europe and North America.”


  • Fondo Strategico Italiano (FSI) has invested 70 million euros in Lumson.
  • The Moretti family will retain a 65% share in Lumson, while FSI will control the remaining 35% through a capital increase and a convertible bond loan.
  • In 2018, Lumson registered revenue of 100 million euros.
  • The company exports 70% of its Made in Italy production and operates commercial divisions in the US, France, Spain, and Germany. Last year, the company acquired lipstick specialist Leoplast.
  • Last June, FSI acquired a 41.2 minority stake in the Missoni luxury label.
  • Paolo Valsecchi will be named chief executive officer of Lumson.

2 Article(s) Remaining

Subscribe today for full access