David Yi’s gender-inclusive skincare brand Good Light is launching in China and received early-stage investment from Super Ordinary.
WHO: David Yi launched Very Good Light as a beauty content website in 2016 with a mission to create a space for open and honest conversation within the beauty world. In 2021 the publisher launched a beauty brand called Good Light in an effort to democratize beauty beyond the binary.
SuperOrdinary was started by Julian Reis, an industry veteran and the co-founder of Skin Laundry, in 2018 as a laboratory to grow the next generation of innovative consumer brands in China and on Amazon in the US. The fast-growing brand management and distribution company is working with best-in-class global beauty brands to establish and scale their businesses. As an investor SuperOrdinary is patient capital agnostic in terms of the investment cycle, writing checks from $100K to $50MM taking either a minority or controlling interest.
IN THEIR OWN WORDS: “Both Good Light and SuperOrdinary perceive an alignment between the brand’s gender-inclusive messaging and the values held by Gen Z consumers in China,” Michael Engert, Good Light cofounder and Supergoop’s former head of direct-to-consumer, told WWD, “SuperOrdinary has a vision for the future of the beauty and skin care industry that aligns with ours — not just in the message and positioning, but product-wise and marketing.”
“The Chinese consumer is very discerning when it comes to skin care, especially ingredients,” Julian Reis, SuperOrdinary’s founder and CEO, told WWD. “We believe [Yi’s] disciplined approach to formulating products will set the brand up for success when we launch in China next year.
“Gen Z consumers in China pride themselves on diversity and personal expansion, which is something that differentiates them from previous generations,” Reis continued. “Good Light’s statement on inclusivity is sure to be well-received, and the clean ingredient story is resonant with consumers today.
- Super Ordinary joins Fab Co-Creation Studio Ventures in backing Good Light at the pre-seed stage. The terms of the deal were not disclosed.
- SuperOrdinary has helped Good Light launch on Amazon and will guide the expansion into China.
- The brand has developed a Gen Z and young Millennial consumer base of 70 percent since its launch nearly three months ago.
- Good Light says it’s on track to surpass $100,000 in sales within its first 100 days on the market and the brand’s best-selling product is its Moon Glow Milky Toning Lotion, $22, followed by the Metamorphosis Skincare Set, $64, which includes a serum, toner and cleanser.
- The brand is currently in talks with various retailers and will launch in brick-and-mortar before the end of the year.
- Good Light is prepping a launch in the acne category for later this year, as well as a moisturizer launch for 2022.
- In January 2021 Alliance Consumer Growth has made a minority investment in SuperOrdinary.
- SuperOrdinary also recently invested in Violette_FR, the new clean makeup brand by eponymous makeup artist and influencer Violette Serrat.
2 Article(s) Remaining