The digital price comparison platform Cosmetify has updated their Cosmetify Index, offering insight into the world’s hottest beauty brands based on social engagement, Google searches, and social media following. For 2022, they have ranked the hottest brands, their favorite sustainable products, most powerful influencers, and much more. Here’s a rundown from this year's index.
Hottest Beauty Brands
- Florence By Mills climbs from seventh place to the top spot due to a huge increase in Instagram followers and Google searches since the 2021 index. The brand, created by Stranger Things star Millie Bobby Brown, has had excellent social media engagement in 2022.
- CeraVe has seen 18.4 million searches over the past 12 months, an increase of 26.62% from 2021.
- Glossier boasts 2.6 million Instagram followers and a recent collaboration with pop sensation Olivia Rodrigo, so it’s no surprise the brand continues to rise in popularity.
- The Body Shop continues to be the most searched beauty brand globally with 40 million Google searches in the last year.
- Estée Lauder has made it to number 5 on the list, which is not a surprise as its portfolio of brands is sold in 150 countries. The company's Google searches rose 7.71% in 2022 and they have amassed 4.3 million Instagram followers.
- Revolution is a UK-based brand incubator with a strong base of 3.4 million Instagram followers. The business’s success comes from fast beauty brands that are accessible and affordable.
- Yves Rocher saw its Google search volume drop slightly this year; however, 30 million searches were still recorded, making it seventh on the list.
- Olaplex has become one of the largest haircare brands in the world, boasting 18.5 million online searches in the last 12 months.
- Fenty Beauty has seen an increase in searches and amassed an admirable 11.7 million Instagram followers.
- Caudalie’s had a 0.25% Instagram engagement rate and an impressive 5.7 million customers in 2022. The brand’s 100% plant-based products appeal to the growing number of eco-conscious consumers.
Most Popular Hair Brands of 2022
- Olaplex has had close to 18.5 million Google searches over the past year as well as over 1 million hashtag mentions on Instagram.
- Ghd has close to 6 million searches and an Instagram following of 762,000 in 2022.
- Babyliss was tagged in 1.6 million Instagram posts and has a 0.13% engagement rate.
- Paul Mitchell saw 1.8 million Google searches in 2022 and 2.7 million hashtag mentions.
- Davines has made its mark as a sustainable haircare brand over the last year with 1.92 million Google searches.
Top Retailers UK
- Beauty Bay is now the UK’s leading skincare and beauty retailer, offering over 100,000 products. The online store has made waves with its 1.95 million Instagram followers and engagement rate of 0.17%.
- Boots sees an average of 19 million visitors on their website as well as 1 million+ Instagram followers.
- Superdrug has over three million visitors a month, which has been attributed to their trending TikTok content and 292,056 Instagram followers.
Top Retailers US
Sephora and Ulta Beauty were tied for the top spot. Sephora came out first based on Instagram followers and posts; however, Ulta Beauty had more monthly traffic. The brands were neck and neck when it came to engagement rates.
Sally Beauty came in third place in the US. The brand originated in New Orleans in 1964 and has gone on to expand to an impressive 4,000 stores around the globe.
The Most Powerful Influencers
Based on YouTube subscribers, estimated earnings per YouTube video, Instagram followers, estimated Instagram earnings per post, combined YouTube and Instagram followers, and combined YouTube and Instagram earnings per post.
- James Charles
- Mari Maria
- Bretman Rock
- Nikkie de Jager
- Camila Coelho
- Bianca Heinicke
- Pony Makeup
- Jaclyn Hill
- Narin Amara
- Farah Dhukai
The Industry’s Rising Stars
- Kiko Milano has seen an impressive 95% increase and has taken the top spot in Italy. Founded in 1997, the brand has 1,000 stores across 21 countries. The search volume for Kiko Milano went from 2,476 in 2021 to a staggering 4.8 million in 2022.
- Charlotte Tilbury went from 9,884,000 searches in 2021 to 15.5 million this year.
- IsaDora was voted Sweden's most popular cosmetics brand, seeing an increase in searches from 2,133,000 in 2021 to 3,294,000 over 2022.
Beauty Brands Losing Popularity
- BH Cosmetics saw a 76.96% drop in its searches in the last year. The company's lack of success is linked to BH filing for bankruptcy protection in January 2021, after sales plummeted during COVID-19.
- Foreo, the Swedish beauty device brand that launched in 2013, seems to have lost some steam. Search volume plummeted from 5’076,000 in 2021 to 3,046,000 in 2022.
- Palmer's, known for its iconic cocoa body butters and lip balms, has surprisingly taken a hit with its search volume, going from 6,005,000 in 2021 to 4,175,000 in 2022.
Biggest Brands on Instagram
- Huda Beauty - 50.8 million
- Kylie Cosmetics - 25.9 million
- M.A.C Cosmetics - 24.5 million
Cosmetify’s Hottest Beauty Products 2022
- Olaplex No.3 Hair Protector
- Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
- Rare Beauty Soft Pinch Liquid Blush
- The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%
- Embryolisse Lait Crème Concentré
- Elemis Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm
- CeraVe Blemish Control Cleanser
- Bondi Sands 1 Hour Express Self Tanning Foam
- Bareminerals Original Loose Powder
- Carolina Herrera Good Girl Eau De Parfum Spray
Cosmetify’s Most Popular Sustainable Products
- REN Ready Steady Glow Daily AHA Tonic
- Weleda Skin Food
- ILIA Limitless Lash Mascara
- Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer
- UpCircle Beauty Organic Facial Serum with Coffee Oil
- bareMinerals Barepro Performance Wear Liquid Foundation SPF 20
- Inika Certified Organic Lip and Cheek Cream
- Neal’s Yard Remedies Wild Rose Beauty Balm
- Evolve Beauty Gentle Cleansing Melt
- Kevin.Murphy Angel Wash