The Cosmetify Index ranks and rates 200 of the hottest beauty brands, people, and products in beauty, based primarily on social following, engagement, and Google searches for Q1 2020.
Huda Kattan and Huda Beauty reign supreme for the second quarter in a row, but Kylie Jenner and Kylie cosmetics have lost some social currency. According to the Q1 Cosmetify data, Kylie Jenner lost her number-two position on the Most Powerful People list, not ranking this quarter, and Kylie Cosmetics fell from the number-six position to the 12th spot in this quarter’s Top Brand list.
Top Brands: Ranking takes into account five factors—the number of Instagram followers, Instagram hashtags, Instagram engagement, global search volume, and increase in searches compared to last quarter.
- Huda Beauty: Once again the most popular brand in the world with almost 2x as many followers than any other brand mentioned on Instagram, and 24 million hashtags. The brand celebrated the tenth anniversary of the blog and the launch of the super Instagrammable Diamond Balms.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills: Right on Huda Beauty’s heels with 23 million hashtags on Instagram. The company president, Norvina, is starring as a judge on James Charles’ new YouTube series Instant Influencer.
- MAC Cosmetics: Maintained its number-three position on the list with 23 million followers and 18 million hashtags. In the last few months, the brand launched its second collection in honor of Latin pop queen Selena Quintanilla.
- Yves Rocher: Keeps its fourth position on the list remaining the most-searched brand globally. They pivoted their strategy in light of COVID-19 and began producing hand sanitizer.
- Lush: A new addition to the top ten, the brand is the second most-searched brand in the world with more than a million searches per month. In January they launched a koala soap to support wildlife affected by the Australian bush fires.
- Florence by Mills: While the hype has calmed down on the brand, the engagement remains the strongest on the list, just under 8%. One of the biggest hits of the first quarter was the 16 Wishes launch in celebration of founder Millie Bobbie Brown’s 16th birthday.
- NYX: Jumping from 15th place in the Q4 2019 list, the brand’s numbers are solid across the board. The most memorable moment of the quarter was the collaboration with Netflix’s Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.
- Merci Handi: This brand has a modest following at 400,000 compared to other brands on the list, but the brand’s most popular product, a vegan and cruelty-free hand cleansing gel, saw an increase of 86.35% in searches over the previous quarter.
- Color Pop Cosmetics: Jumped into the top ten with a Sailor Moon launch in February and a Mulan-inspired launch in March.
- Morphe: Also moved into the top ten with the launch of a collaboration with Jaclyn Hill in February as well as rapper Saweetie and K-Beauty influencer Pony.
Brands who fell out of the top ten: Kylie Cosmetics, Jeffree Star Cosmetics, Rude Cosmetics, Maybelline, and Foreo.
- Huda Beauty – 24,993,381
- Anastasia Beverly Hills – 23,344,089
- MAC Cosmetics – 18,327,777
- Huda Beauty – 43,175,654
- Kylie Cosmetics – 24,012,086
- Morphe – 23,664,223
- Florence By Mills – 7.97%
- Glow Recipe – 2.25%
- Glossier – 1.98%
Top Sustainable Brands:
- The Ordinary
- Bleach London
- Milk Makeup
Most Powerful People: Cosmetify studied the social following of 50 of the world’s biggest beauty influencers on both Instagram and YouTube, as well as estimating revenue.
- James Charles
- Bretman Rock
- Huda Kattan
Huda Kattan lost the number-one position ranking number three this quarter, with Millie Bobby Brown and Kylie Jenner lost numbers two and three respectively, not making the cut this quarter.
Rising Stars of Beauty:
- Merci Handi: Searches for this everyday cosmetics brand were ticking along nicely, but the outbreak of coronavirus saw the world scrambling to get their hands on hand sanitizer and the brand saw searches double increasing by 86%.
- Buxom: Was one of the few brands to record an upswing in searches in the New Year, with an increase of 60% compared to last quarter. The increase was driven following the Grammy Awards, where singer Bebe Rexha was spotted wearing their Full-On Plumping Lip Polish.
- Goop: Searches increased by 29%, which Cosmetify attributes to the release of the Netflix docuseries in January and the wave of backlash from the scientific community that followed.
Hottest Beauty Products:
- L’Oréal Paris’ Magic Retouch Instant Root Concealer Spray
- Cuticura’s Antibacterial Hand Gel
- The Ordinary Serum Foundation
- Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream
- Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay In Place Foundation Makeup SPF 10
- Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray
- Fenty Beauty Glass Bomb Universal Lip Lumnizer
- Too Face Born This Way Foundation
- Mario Badescu Drying Lotion
Read the full report here.